Wak-a-Tubes are brightly coloured percussion instruments made from different lengths of plastic tubing. They’re fun and easy for musicians of all ages to play, a simple and inexpensive introduction to music making. They can be played in a wide variety of ways to create a range of different pitched sounds.
Produced in the Percussion Plus workshops in Leicestershire, Wak-a-Tubes are also supplied in multi-use packaging made of 100% recyclable materials, so you know that you’re doing your bit for the planet by buying UK made.
Playing Wak-a-Tubes in a group is a great way to learn about teamwork and ensemble musicianship while having lots of fun. Unsurprisingly, this has made them very popular with schools. They are also widely used in corporate team building exercises and events due to the universal appeal of bright colours and noise! The simple playing technique breaks down any barriers to creativity and levels the playing field, allowing the least and most musically inclined to come together and have a wak.
How do you Wak?
Simply whack them against a hard surface, hit them against each other, or lay them out on a flat surface and strike them with beaters. For the best tone, strike the playing surface a few inches from the end of the tube. Why not try grabbing a couple of tubes and waking them together to produce chords?
As a rule, the bigger the tube, the lower its pitch. It can be fun to experiment with dynamics and timbre by varying the material the tubes are hit against, and the velocity with which they are struck. And don’t worry – they’re virtually indestructible!
The complete range of tubes spans a fully chromatic range of 2 octaves (from C3-C5), but it’s possible to extend this down a further octave (to C2) when the Wak-a-Tubes are used in conjunction with Wak-a-Caps. There are a number of sets available which can be combined as required:
- PP790 C Major diatonic scale set 8 notes C40 to C52, lengths from 12” to 24”
- PP791 Chromatic set 5 sharps and flats within the octave C40 to C52, combine with PP790 for a fully chromatic octave
- PP793 Bass diatonic set Extend your PP790 diatonic set down a further octave with this 7 note set from C28 to B39, lengths from 24” to 48”
- PP794 Bass chromatic set 5 sharps and flats within the octave C28 to C40, combine with PP793, PP790 and PP791 for a fully chromatic 2 octave set
- PP795 C Major pentatonic scale set 6 notes C40, D42, C44, G47, A,49 and C52, a sound introduction to simple music harmony as all notes in the pentatonic scale sound great when played together!
- Individual notes If you are playing in a specific key or tonality, you can customise your selection of Wak-a-Tubes to suit your musical requirements
- PP796 Classroom pack The one-stop solution to fill your classroom with Waky music! Set includes two diatonic octave sets PP790, one set of accidentals PP791, one set of Wak-a-Caps, additional single notes as well as two jingle sticks and a lollipop drum
- PP792 Wak-a-Caps these clever little yellow end caps transpose the Wak-a-Tube down an octave upon fitting. Great to extend the range of your Wak-a-Tube collection even further and compatible with the full range
- PP797 Wak-a-Rap This helpful carrying tote secures for travel, and can be used to lay out your set like a xylophone for playing with beaters
- PP798 Wak-a-Tube stand Designed to hold up to 13 tubes, this stand can accommodate a full chromatic octave of PP790 and PP791 sets
What else can I do?
Wak-a-Tubes are perfectly tuned, and colour coded to match other instruments in the Percussion Plus Colour Matching Note System. This includes PP271
combi bells, PP273
desk bells, PP935
chime bars, and PP015
hand chimes among others – so what are you waiting for? Start your Percussion Plus orchestra today with our free download Wak-a-Tube songbook. Watch this space for further arrangements from the Percussion Plus Colour Matching Note System!
Taking care of your tubes
We recommend not waking against abrasive surfaces, which could damage or deform your Wak-a-Tubes. It is also advisable to avoid bending the tubes or using excessive force when waking. The use of dedicated beaters such as the PP064
will help to prolong the life of your set. They can be kept clean with a soft, damp cloth and mild soap if necessary. Always store indoors and away from direct sunlight.
Wak-a-Tubes Product Information
The complete Wak-a-Tube range
Select some Wak-a-Tubes to use with your Wak-a-Caps